Mish-Mash is a Yiddish word which means mixture, a medley or even a jumble. It is related by the German roots of the Yiddish language to the German word misch of similar meaning. As a woman born and raised in New York with its’ patchwork of languages that big linguistic melting pot had to offer, I often heard that word growing up among others. You would hear Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Italians, Irish and obviously Jewish people use this word whenever something was unclear or confusing. Could there ever be enough words to adequately express the notion of life’s jumble?
That’s what this blog post is about today. It is a mish-mash of so many things. Why? I guess it is a work-through of writers block that I have had lately. Not because I have nothing to say but, because I have too much to say and it is all in a sort of Mish-Mash in my mind. There is so much going on at every level: personally, locally, nationally, internationally and then there’s the spiritual realm which permeates it all.
Let’s start with Nepal. The glacier collapse and ensuing avalanche, mudslide and flood touched so many all over the world and I have a few points of connection to this story. My husband met an Indian man named Caleb* at his summer church convention that I spoke of in previous posts. He bonded with him both professionally and spiritually. The bond began because of a shared career background in tech, and continued with the sharing of their foundational belief in God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit and the witness they shared. My husband and I love reading. We read in our individual areas of interest and we read aloud books to one another. We have just completed an old read, Black Narcissus by Rumer Godden. Thoughts of Nepal, past and present wafted through our minds.
Then, Caleb told my husband the story of his life including his call from God to leave the tech field and to serve at a church in Nepal. There are no accidents in God’s world. My husband knew that he met Caleb for a reason and he wanted to be supportive of him in any way that he could. The two of them decided to exchange information and keep in touch. As Caleb’s dream seemed close to fruition the terrible mudslides occurred in the region that he should be traveling to. My husband reached out to talk about what had happened and what Caleb’s plans might be now. Our church has been praying for the people of Nepal and immediately took up a collection to try in a small way to show our love. There are church members there who can assist in the immediacy of the event. This natural disaster has changed everything for so many including Caleb. We continue to pray for Caleb, the relief workers, the survivors and the nation of Nepal.
In the Mish-Mash of events in my mind, I have spent a lot of time, way too much time, thinking and reading about Iran, Israel, the United States and the paradigm shift in the Middle East. It seems something is about to be born over there, but what is it? New regimes, new alliances, new business deals, war or peace? Something’s gotta give doesn’t it? I am half-way through a book about Iran. It was published from Princeton University Press but, the editor missed a few grammar and spelling errors in the English translation. Oh well, with A.I. people even at the so-called Ivy Leagues are becoming illiterate and innumerate.
The book is entitled, Iran’s Grand Strategy: A Political History by Vali Nasr. The scholarly paperback came to my attention at a BOGO sale. BOGO means, Buy One Get One free. I thought this book would be a good opportunity to refresh my knowledge concerning the historical context of the present circumstances in the Middle East. Any study of history reminds one to take heed because history has a way of catching up with us and disrupting the ordinary lives that we are trying to live. Ordinary people like a Westchester Christian Housewife maybe?
It is for this reason that I have always studied history in tandem with current events so as to not be taken unawares. Also, it is the reason that I recently took time this summer to listen to and to attend events where politicians currently running for political office were speaking. My husband and I, also decided that it is a key time to contribute to some campaigns that a Christian ought to contribute to.
Then, as if my mind wasn’t going in a thousand directions already, I somehow got a little obsessed with the Lindsey Clancy case. For those of you not familiar with this case, it is the murder trial which just concluded in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It concerned a mother who brutally killed her three children, 8 month old Callan, 3 year old Dawson, and 5 year old Cora. The prosecution claims that she’s a stone-cold killer and the defense says she was over-medicated with psychiatric drugs and suffering from post-partum psychosis.
Alright, alright, I should be decorating my house for fall, and putting up a few preserves for winter. The weather geek in me wonders if conditions might be right for a Super El-NiƱo this year. Look out folks the meteorological and spiritual conditions portend bad weather ahead! Anyway, did I mention laundry, shopping, cleaning, and gardening has to be done? There was just something about this case that made me want to tackle my household chores whilst carrying around and trying not to drop that ever handy phone tuned in to CourtTV.
My husband, wonders why I am not paying enough attention to him and why all that I want to talk about is the Lindsay Clancy trial. I do feel bad about that and I try to point out the spiritual implications of the case to him. He has discussed it with me, but, I am not sure what he really thinks of this Lindseymania that is currently sweeping the ladies.
I think all of us have known women who had struggles after giving birth. I have. The first case that I remember was when I was five year old. My family took in baby Dylan* for a while. Dylan was a newborn baby. He was the fifth child in his family. I knew Julio*and Elba* were going to have a baby. Back then, I didn’t know or care about how that all happened. I was happy with the notion of a stork bringing us babies. What I did not expect is that the stork would bring the baby to our living room one day when I arrived home from first grade.
I didn’t expect it but, I loved it. I wanted baby Dylan to be my little brother. I couldn’t wait to come home from school every day. I had no idea and I would not for some time to come why the stork brought baby Dylan to us instead of Julio and Elba. I would never know the full story but, over the years I have been able to piece together most of the story. It was because his mother Elba was struggling with postpartum depression. My guess is she could have gone full out Lindsey. All five of Julio and Elba’s children would be separated and placed into the foster care system as a result.
Throughout the decades, there have been instances which I observed of mothers not well-adjusted after giving birth. I always thought of this as part of the spectrum of birth outcomes. Something that we must all cope with from time to time amongst our friends, family and neighbors. Also, that we should be ready to step in where necessary. That just seems like normal to me. It is no different than when a mother comes home severely anemic or with post-birth physical complications. Centuries of human culture has taught us all how to manage after giving birth and how to be a help to others after their babies are born. Could it be that in our post-modern culture that we are losing these vital standards?
Lindsey Clancy was on maternity leave from her nursing job (so a health care professional). She had a husband who was working from home, a social worker sister, a helpful mother, a registered nurse as a mother-in-law, and a nanny there to assist her. This woman had access to some of the best advanced medical care that is available and so many loving family members available to take over for her. Her health care providers suggested that she did not comply with their directives and various court testimony seemed to uncover her as untruthful concerning her true motivations. What a terrible tragedy for those three precious little ones. But, what gives? Didn’t any of these adults realize the situation had become dangerous or were they too busy positive thinking, facebooking pictures or manifesting greatness? Things are not, “all good” folks. Sometimes things are bad and we must face those circumstances with wisdom and with courage.
Lindsey Clancy’s husband testified that he was confused because Lindsey said, that she was suicidal but, then she would be cooking and playing with the children like normal. He apparently thought that she was okay. Honestly, I find this hard to believe even Jibero Julio knew that he and his wife needed help with the children and Patrick Clancy could not see what was happening? Who thinks someone who is suicidal should be taking care of children?
Lindsey was very, very ill. Seriously ill like Elba was ill. Ill enough that any available family member should have taken the helm until Lindsey was demonstrably healthy enough to care for those children again. Unfortunately, as in the case of Julio and Elba, there comes a time when even foster care might be necessary. Lindsey was ill to the point where even foster care would have been better. It was a bad experience for Elba’s children to be in foster care but I can say now, that at least nobody killed them. They grew up and lived their life and intergrated those experiences sort of like Job in the Bible integrated his bad experiences.
Finally, no Mish-Mash of ideas would be complete without me grappling with the meaning of the latest artificial intelligence breach. There are three stories currently making the rounds. The first reveal is that China has been possibly messing around with artificial intelligence in order to create biological pathogens. What could be worse? Are they at it again? Gee, I hope not.
The other revelation came about when a top artificial intelligence researcher resigned and wrote a missive on the dangers of A.I. technology and superintelligence. His solution: take a step back on the technology front in order to work towards finding a way of harnessing the technologies’ power better. Furthermore, he would like to see more international cooperation. I find this so laughable. Did we cooperate internationally on nuclear power? What about world hunger? Can we say that there is international consensus there? We let China work and learn in the United States and what did they do? They stole our technology and used it against us and our interests. How would Russia and Ukraine be expected to cooperate on artificial intelligence?
Even the book that I am currently reading about Iran concerns itself with the divide between the Sunni and Shiite Muslim. I could go on and use other countries and other examples of how difference makes people’s cooperation limited at best and at worse it could be a Trojan Horse for a nation. This researcher is naive or worse yet politically motivated to help effect an outcome for the upcoming United States Mid-term election. China has been caught financing opposition in the United States to A.I. technological advancement for obvious reasons, and democratic socialists like former President Obama couldn’t agree more.
Further, so many of the big names in artificial intelligence who have been making money hand over fist with it and have presented this technology as the best thing since sliced bread are suddenly opposed to it and have feigned fear of the A.I. They all are using this issue to try and make Donald Trump a lame duck president. Something vaguely stinks about this whole thing.The biggest scandal concerning A.I. may concern how the Houthis and Iran may have tried to hack into United States A.I. for the military purposes of creating more Middle Eastern Mish-Mash. Maybe, balagan, fauda or apocalypse might describe the possibilities better but at this point there is no going back as the clock ticks closer to midnight. But, fear not and choose God and next, hold on tight. Then, practice your faith and the lifestyle of being a believer and let God take care of the rest.
Is there any uniting principles in the things that go through our mind and worry us? The things that rate second thoughts and are counted as transitional? Yes, there are spiritual threads running through all the things we see in this world and the things that we and others do. Could it explain the Mish-Mash of my mind at the moment? Yes, I think so.
Bible verses to guide:
1. Why natural disasters occur- It is always sad to me when an event occurs such as the disaster in Nepal and people do as Job’s wife suggested and curse God. God desires us to come to him and he even says, he will bring beauty for ashes to our lives. It is only natural to question but, as one’s faith develops we begin to see how faithful God is in so many daily situations. We also have so many, many wonderful experiences in the beautiful world that God has created. However, as a result of the devil’s successful temptations sin has entered the world. That changed everything. The natural laws no longer ensure perfect peace as they did in the Garden of Eden but, faith in God and the acceptance of Jesus as our Savior does. (And we know that for those who love God all things work together for Good, for those who are called according to his purpose- Romans 8:28.)
God warns humanity to repent and his way is to give plenty of time to do that. In the days of old, he sent prophets to teach, warn and re-direct. If people insisted on sinning without repentance from time to time God’s perfect justice had to include punishment. Sometimes that punishment would come in the form of natural disasters. However, not every natural disaster is a result of disobedience to God. There is the natural realm with its’ physical laws. (But, if the Lord creates something new, and the ground opens its mouth and swallow them up with all that belongs to them, and they go down alive into Sheol, then you shall know that these men have despised the Lord-Numbers 16:30. Ultimately in eternity the complete understanding of these things and complete protection will occur.
2. Where is God during a natural disaster? -
For by him all things are created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities- all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together-Colossians 1;16-17. So, God is in control and he is present in our lives.
3. On the Middle Eastern paradigm shift-
Persia, Cush, and Put are with them, all of them with shield and helmet-Ezekiel 38:5.
You shall fall on the mountains of Israel, you and all your hordes and the peoples who are with you. I will give you to birds of prey of every sort and to the beasts of the field to be devoured. You shall fall in the open field, for I have spoken, declares the Lord God- Ezekiel 39:4-5.
And my holy name I will make known in the midst of my people Israel, and I will not let my holy name be profaned anymore. And the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel-Ezekiel 39:7. The Bible describes many conflicts int the Middle East. There is also a time of peace that ensues before the final biblical Battle of Armageddon. At the end of days, God will be honored and he will show himself to be team Israel in that final battle.
4. Uptick of violence against children-
Many people predicted that once abortion was legalized that a slow desensitization to the value of human life would occur. We could argue that the Lindsey Clancy case was a case in point. That would be confirmed perhaps by the copycat cases that already seem to have occurred. Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil. Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! -Isaiah 5:20
5.AI-superimtelligence-
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the leaven’s are higher than the earth,so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts-Isaiah 55:8-9. God is omnipresent. He already knows what the future holds and that includes the A.I. He is not only smarter than us but the A.I. has nothing on God Almighty.
The Book of Job in the Bible- The life of Job bears witness to the meaning of a life in its’ entirety. The joy of family, and the loss of family that we all must endure. Financial success and financial failure. Natural disasters are also shown as part of life. Friends can help or hurt as we work through issues. This is aptly portrayed in the Book of Job. Sudden illness, pain, suffering and humiliation.The poignancy of starting over when one has lost everything is depicted in the story. That role model uplifts throughout the human story as much now as it ever has.
Job is faced with cursing God for his troubles and so are we. Will we say that we reject God because our life has reached a roadblock, a disaster or a tragedy? Will we change, act out our anger, frustration or pain? The world is full of people seeking revenge, recompense and choosing to hurt rather than to help. We see people steal rather than give, and hate rather than love. Job ultimately helps to show us the way to work through our emotions, our troubles and choose God. He acknowledges that there is one greater than he. He admits his human frailty and realizes that God, and not he, has the full picture.
It seems to me upon reading the Book of Job that Job ultimately accepts that God defines truth. And, even with the worse befalling him he sees that God is fully right and that he in his humanity is not. That subtly speaks to the notion that we are sinners in the way we perceive and live our lives and that God is holy and righteous.
* the names have been changed to protect privacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment