Monday, June 27, 2016

What Should Women Wear?

                                                              Godly Clothing for Sale

Of all the topics I have covered thus far, the topic of women's attire is the most incendiary.  The topic of appropriate female attire has been humanity's obsession from the beginning.  I never was comfortable being the object of such intense scrutiny.  I think my happiest times were when I didn't care a lick about what I wore.  Running and playing were the center of my life but rules were already being whispered in my ear by then.  "Blue is in this winter".  "That shoe doesn't match your dress."  But that wasn't the worst of it, "those jeans are so last year" or "that looks terrible on you." "You'll never get a boyfriend if you don't wear more make-up or wear a shorter skirt."

It seemed, as I entered adolescence, everyone got more interested in my clothing than I was.  I resented all the rules of so-called fashion which seemed impossible to follow and resulted in the objectification of women.  Coming of age as a woman any where in the world means coming to terms with these issues.  What a rude awakening it is!  Think of some of the school girls in German towns, such as Pocking or Giessen, who are being told to change their style of dress, because your clothing could cause a Muslim refugee to go berserk. It seems that women's attire has always been a battleground.  But is it fair?  Don't men have any control and responsibility?

I dreaded dealing with this topic because every time I just mention a hemline or a neckline these days, people are ready to accuse me of being a member of the Taliban. Perhaps the most frustrating part for me is that people will then equate my Christianity with what ISIS is trying to do.  I am here to tell you that just because one group believes in dressing modestly and another group does too, does not make them the same group.  I know an atheist father who does not approve of his daughter's attire but he and I have world views which are diametrically opposed.  It is possible to reach a similar decision for different reasons, as is the case here.

As it happens, when one chooses to become a Christian the bible describes the process as putting on new clothes and as clothing ourselves in Christ.  Here are a few biblical passages in that vein: "Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ."-Roman 13:14 and "put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."-Ephesians 4:24.  Choosing to accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior entails changing long held habits and lifestyles.  All of these changes, which God directs and helps us to make in our life, ultimately result in our happiness.  It often, as in the case of changing the way we dress, is a visible sign to those around us of our real commitment to our faith in God.  Changing the way we dress for some of us may be part of our Christian journey.  We may begin to regard ourselves in a new way.  A way which is deeper and more meaningful than how many heads that we can turn when we enter a room.  1 Peter 3:3-"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting
the hair, and of wearing of gold, and of putting on of apparel".  We choose to go in new directions which deepen the meaning of our life not on the outside but on the inside.







No comments:

Post a Comment