Sunday, January 6, 2019

My Missions Trip- Part 2(Meet the Kids)

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.- James 1:27.

God's purpose and meaning for me being on this Missions Trip began to grow clearer as I met the children at the group homes /orphanages. There were three homes. The first home was dedicated to the care and education of children with special needs.

There was adorable Katya*who berated herself for the clumsiness brought on by her brain injury and dear Alexei*, who was struggling to get used to the higher dosage of psychiatric medicine that he was issued.

As I entered the first home, I saw a group of smiling and sweet kids come streaming into a sun-filled, recreation room. The window was large, almost filling up an entire wall and plants crowded its' sill.  The room was decorated with Persian-style carpets, lace curtains, and had a piano and a television set.

Dan* came straggling in after every one was already seated in the chairs that had been set up in a circle near the door.  He situated himself in a corner trying to be part of the group and not part of the group. He was still in transition, grappling to accept his current situation after being here just one month.

The ages of the children ranged from 8 years to 16 yrs of age.  There were mostly boys and some girls. Here I was, in the thick of things, on my very first day, only somewhat prepared for what to expect since I was the newest member of an American visiting group.  Now, the reality began to settle in.

We started our day with a group devotion, where I had reminded people that we Christians needed to be a mini Body of Christ as we began to serve the community that we sought to be a blessing to.  After that, we loaded the van with the craft projects that we would be using for that day. Our next stop was a local market to buy food for ourselves and the children.  In addition, we bought school supplies which would eventually be placed in a gift bag for the kids.

As we began our day with the children, I felt like an early Christian must have when Christ sent them out on the Great Commission.  The stories in the Bible show the disciples of Jesus traveling far and wide to preach the Gospel or Good News of Jesus Christ.  I had that sense of preaching on a street corner as I began my trip.

On the first day, Meg* the leader of this Missions Trip opened up with a prayer and gave a short lesson from the book of First Peter. She then directed me to start a craft class.  I had no idea before our trip what crafts we would be doing. Meg took care of buying craft kits before we left the United States. The first day of our visit the craft would be Fun With Clay. 

This choice ended up to be brilliant, for as the children pressed in and worked their clay, the shyness that we all felt in the situation began to melt away. The stretching and molding of the clay proved to be relaxing and as the clay was transformed into figures and objects so our relationships began to transform.

I marvel to think how God has prepared me probably my whole life to be on this trip. My love of history and music coerced me when I was a child to make imaginary trips to the country I now visited.  It was then that I began to pray for this country in a very special way.  The special way a child prays with all their heart.
I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you.-John 14:18

As I got to know the many children who inhabited these orphanages, I learned of situations that we wish no children ever had to experience. Stories of abuse and abandonment. Stories of poverty and injustice.  I saw flashes of anger, frustration, and loneliness in their behavior.  Some of the children seemed detached, while others seemed overly affectionate.  I longed to comfort them on so many levels.  On the practical level, it was by giving them some of the food, clothing and necessities that they needed.  I had a feeling this was just a pittance, but I hoped that the children felt our love in the little things that we did.

I don't think that any one comes back from a trip like mine and doesn't desire to do more to help children such as these.  Out of these feelings I had an idea to give them a homemade gift. I went to my Church and asked them what they thought. They were very enthusiastic. The project is called Operation Knit-A-Scarf.  This initiative will endeavor to get one hundred and fifty handmade scarves made for the children at these three homes.

Why a hand knit scarf? A handmade scarf is a special way to say that I love you.  It says that you are special and treasured. It shows that someone took the time and energy required to make you a gift.  I found a simple beginner key-hole scarf pattern and have handed that out at Church and among my friends.  So have other people.  I hope and pray that many children who are struggling with feelings that their family rejected them might let the warm and cozy creations be like a little hug or kiss.

God has blessed this project in so many ways. It has even grown outside of my church.  Complete strangers have donated yarn to this cause and even knitted or crocheted some scarves for these children that they don't even know.  I just received a large bag of hand-crocheted scarves that Meg* received recently.  I feel like I am experiencing Jesus multiply our small effort like when he multiplied the loaves and fishes to feed a multitude!

For the Lord who calls you is faithful, and He can be trusted to make it so!-1 Thessalonians 254

I knew that teaching them about their loving Father and Jesus their Savior would leave these children with something far more permanent and life-changing than what I was able to do for them in the short time that I visited them.  I shared some very personal stories highlighting how God brought me through my own childhood trials and tribulations.  Most importantly, how God can do it for them. These children need more than just platitudes.  They need to cling to the promises of God and begin to learn new ways to behave and believe in order to survive the harsh realities that living in an orphanage entails.  Please lift up these children in pray and beseech God on their behalf.  They have touched my heart in a unique way.

When my father and mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.-Psalm 27:10











* names were changed to protect identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment