Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Christmas Message

Romans 1:1-4 Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh, who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord
What does Christmas mean to you? How do you celebrate it? Over the years I have heard many answers to those questions. Family, traditions and gift-giving are central. Cooking and decorating come in a close second as to importance. What I have noticed is that all of the things that we do for Christmas go back in history to ancestral practices which pre-date Christianity. I had a really scary experience in Austria. Have you ever heard of Krampus? This half goat, devil man must win the award for the most pagan of all customs that has managed to merge into Christmas traditions. I feel that when you watch a parade with furry figures of Krampus in it, or send a Krampus card to someone, its pretty much spicing up Christmas with a little bit of a demon please. 

What about the Christmas tree? Over the years, I have spent a significant amount of time and energy devoted to having and decorating the perfect Christmas tree. This year, for the first time ever, I did not put up a tree. Sacrilege you say? Hold on a minute and let me explain. I made that decision for a few reasons. One is space. I happen to be storing some things for my church which cut down on available floor space. We don't want a fire hazard do we? Besides that, this year has been emotionally exhausting for me due to family problems. I do think it is important to be flexible and realistic each year as we contemplate the possibilities of Christmas. Some people were worried about me and shocked that I was not putting up a Christmas tree. A more manageable plan this year included putting up some garlands, wreaths, and  nativity sets around my home. I also have Christmas floral arrangements around the house and some mini lights displayed here and there.

As I walked around my house and I contemplated the meaning of my changed decorating habits I reminded myself that having a Christmas tree or the best lit house on the block doesn't have anything directly to do with remembering the birth of Jesus Christ. Although the Christmas tree seemed to be blessed by Martin Luther, and embaced by Queen Victoria doesn't it in fact go back to pre-Christian beliefs in tree spirits? Or doesn't my decor sound close to what the Romans did for Saturnalia? At the winter solstice the Romans decorated their homes with garlands, wreaths and gave out gifts. That is exactly what I am doing and I even do this the same time of year that the Romans did it.

Sometimes it is even hard to find time to contemplate the birth of Jesus amid all the running to and fro. The demands of the Christmas season varies from country to country but in general it seems like in addition to everything else that we have to do everyday that the season of Christmas brings a lot more work. Christmas plus final exams. Christmas plus end of year job requirements. Christmas plus all the other chores that we already  have to do. Does it sounds as if I am a Scrooge? I hope not. The Christmas season is a beautiful and joyful time. However it all came to this point of the way we celebrate it let's try not to exhaust ourselves or do things that would be ill-advised such as get into debt to buy gifts or drinking to excess. Also, remember that the expectations of the perfect Christmas makes many of us feel inadequate. Is our family experience as good as the person next door? Does our cooking or family holiday measure up?  A survey just done in the United States showed that the majority of Americans believe that we need more Jesus in Christmas.  If you are overwhelmed, discouraged or lonely this Christmas remember that God sent Jesus to be with you in your troubles and to give you hope and new direction. He didn't come to help perfect people in perfect families who live in perfect homes. He came to help those who could get real and realize that they are sinners in need of salvation. Keeping this in mind keeps everything in perspective.
Merry Real Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment