Sunday, October 11, 2020

COVID and Mental Health

 COVID and Mental Health is a huge elephant in the room. My hairdressers’ assistant brought this up to me the other day when my head was in a sink getting the natural vegetable dye rinsed out of my hair. I was surrounded by plexiglass which was specially cut to keep the customer encapsulated and separate from any possible contact with people in the vicinity. I could barely understand what the mask-clad worker was saying, when she pronounced that “people are having some mental health issues lately.” Whatever could she mean by that? Do you know? I picked-up some of what she said to me, but the rest was muffled by her mask and her voice bouncing off the plexiglass in some weird way, like a high school lesson on sound wave dynamics.

A not to be missed point is just how damaging these masks are to our brain health. I am always urging senior citizens to get hearing aids when they need them. They are frequently hesitant due to embarrassment, vanity or confusion over how the technology works. The argument that wins them over every time is how studies have shown that when you can not hear what is going on around you, you stop trying to listen, you begin to isolate, and then you are more at risk for dementia. 

I am getting sick of listening to people prattle on with their masks on. I used to get energized after spending quality time with people. Not anymore. I walked into a new furniture store in my town. I asked the masked owner and craftsman to describe his services and I stopped caring what he said after asking twice, excuse me could you repeat that. I find myself just shaking my head a lot, like when I was a kid and a teacher was starting to bore me. This is one huge challenge.

My husband is very worried about his friend Elliot*. Elliot seems to be in a complete depression. It started when he began to work from home. Zoom meetings became his life. All day long, he has no real social interaction just hours and hours of working on his computer and then zoom meetings. His relationship with his wife has also taken a turn for the worse. 

Peg* has suddenly got O.C.D. or germaphobic about Elliot. In mortal fear for her life they have decided that that must live on separate floors of their house. They eat one meal a day together. He at one end of a long table and she at the other end. If this all sounds crazy to you, that’s because it is. They are living an emotional divorce.

Elliot is having some sort of breakdown too. Wouldn’t you? My husband talks to Elliot nearly every single day but, for the past two weeks Elliot has said that he can’t talk. What does that mean? Should he be in a hospital or be talking to a therapist on FaceTime? 

What happened to this gifted computer consultant? He attended the famed Bronx High School of Science, was one of the most sought after computer consultants in New York City and now he can’t even leave his bed. How do you go from running New York City marathons the way Elliot did only to die without a fight. Is he physically ill or is this a case of COVID and Mental Health issues taking its’ toll? 

My hairdressers’ assistant is right, people are having their mental health issues these days. We have to be on the look out for people in our lives who are struggling with this.

Dear Jesus.. Please give us the strength to spread the good news during these bad news times. Give us compassion to care for the sick including those who are experiencing mental health challenges. Help us have courage to stand up for what is righteous. We ask this in your name, amen.

* not their names, just their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment