Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Russian Friend

The last time that I blogged about the Russian-Ukrainian War was near Easter of this past year. I was moved by the contemplation of Christ’s death and Resurrection to hope for an Easter miracle, the cessation of this war.  Sadly, that was not to be. However, I did not think the war could possibly last this long. Yet it has. The stories of rape, torture, death and destruction are unfathomable and each day brings more and more cruelty beyond the pale. 

The inability of the United Nations, the United States, the European Union and NATO to deal with this situation effectively is all you need to know as regards the power and efficacy of such groups. What about the billions that have poured into Ukraine from all over the world, and the economic sanctions against Russia? China, India, Turkey, Iran, and North Korea are doing so much damage supporting Russia as they seek more and more influence on the world stage. The faith that we place in our own earthly wisdom and institutions are misplaced. God is the only one who will eventually end all wars for good. 

Amid all of this, I feel like I have been living a double life with my Russian Friend Jenica* . Even though it has been almost a full year since the Russians invaded the Ukraine, Jenica and I have yet to have a real and serious discussion on the war. When I look out my window here in the United States, I am able to see people with Ukrainian flags on their lawns in support of that country.  I have been giving donations to Christian ministries active in Ukraine and yet I have yet to discuss any of that with Jenica.

Am I one to shrink away from stating my point of view or painful truths?  Have I had a fear of losing our friendship, yes at times. But, first and foremost I am fearful of reprisals against Jenica which could result in her getting into trouble in her country of Russia should any of our communications be intercepted. Even though that is a good reason that we should be careful when and how we communicate our feelings about this war, it feels like it is the big elephant in the middle of the room every time we talk.

Our friendship as a result, seems less than authentic. War divides. It always has and it always will. People support that side which they passionately agree with and that causes divisions between those who disagree. Yet, Jenica and I have the bond that exists between people who place their faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Jenica and I met on a Missions Trip. We were paired up working as a team. We did arts and crafts for children and assisted in teaching youth inspired gospel messages. That was several years ago where such things would be possible between an American and a Russian. Today, she is a university student in Moscow. The first day that the Russians invaded Ukraine, she sent me a text message evincing great shock as to what had just occurred. 

At that time, she and I were understandably in shock. However, Russians both young and old are not accustomed to betraying either their emotions or their political positions easily. Besides, it is always in the back of my mind that she is in a vulnerable position since any even perceived disapproval of the war in Russia could lead to incarceration. I try to keep that in mind every time that I feel that I want to bring up this topic. 

During this awkward first discussion, I let Jenica know that our bond in friendship is our faith in Jesus Christ and I reminded her that neither she nor I are politicians or generals.  What influence could we have on such important decisions that those above us make? I spoke of the power that we have in God. As the war began, my comments to her as I recall entailed staying close to God amid these events. I wanted to say so much more but I was unsure how safe that would be.

Jenica and I often share our thoughts and feelings about everyday events and situations in our lives. We share problems and discuss solutions. But, just lately, Jenica has this uncanny ability to text me when I have just watched a news report about a Ukrainian toddler getting run over by a Russian soldier or when I just read a report of a grandmother who got raped by a Russian soldier. My emotions are all whipped up and I wonder if I should discuss this with her. Other times I wonder if she even knows what is actually happening. 

This seems to be the year of energy and fuel disruptions. Recently, I was reading about a Russian assault on energy grids in Ukraine. These attacks have left many civilians without power forcing people into dire circumstances during sub-zero temperature conditions. As yet another allegation of war crimes is leveled against the Putin regime, I wonder how accusations of possible war crimes can be bandied about as if they have no meaning. 

Recently, when I was out Christmas shopping, Jenica’s text message came in. I told her that I was Christmas shopping and she began to remind me of the Russian traditions of the season. As usual, she mentioned what sounded like the most important part of her holiday which is gathering around her television with the rest of her family and listening to the annual New Year’s address to the nation by Vladimir Putin. 

I have often wondered if Jenica knows that the traditions of Christmas that were once celebrated in Russia were stopped by the Communists when they took over the country in 1917. I wonders if she understands the reason that she is placing pre-eminence upon the New Year’s festivities instead of the celebration of the birth of Jesus is due to the fact that her countries communist regime sought to stamp our religious practices. What a clever idea, to replace Christmas with New Year’s. They could not simply stop winter celebrations could they? Also, let us place Putin on the throne instead of Jesus. It has been working too hasn’t it? 

Until now that is. Jenica suprised me when she wondered if this year the enjoyment of the holiday would be marred by disagreements within families over Putin’s war in the Ukraine. She also said many families are divided in their opinions about the war. Some people disapprove of the war while their relatives might support it. 

This is a time, a moment in history where you have to choose a side. As believers we know there are only two choices, with God, or against God. If we are with God, it will reflect in the view that one has concerning world events such as this war, the role of government in our lives and the list goes on. Our views in a real sense will effect our family relations, our friendships and the way we choose to conduct business. Yes, Jenica was right, this year there is division but, it is a lot bigger than Vladimir Putin. It is between God and Satan and it is time for us to begin to act like we know this. Repent, read your bible, and find a bible-centered church to attend or online. 

*name is change for privacy.

NEXT-Christmas Message 2022





No comments:

Post a Comment