Monday, June 19, 2023

Wildfires

About 11 am. Tuesday morning I was getting a haircut. I had to rush right back home afterwards because, my Pastor’s wife, Tracy* had called a day earlier to ask if she and the Pastor could stop by around 1:30 pm. Although this was after lunch, I wanted to serve desert and some cold-brewed iced tea. All summer long, I fill individual mason jars with water and two tea bags, then place them in the refrigerator overnight so that I can enjoy a refreshing beverage throughout the summer. 

At the moment, my favorites flavors are mint tea, raspberry hibiscus and the classic black tea and lemon combo. Knowing that my Pastor enjoys a warm cup of Lady Grey tea in the colder months, I also decided to include a Lady Grey of the iced variety for the choices. I settled on some dark chocolate covered nuts and a few other small summery confections. I purchased them at a local chocolatier since I did not have any time to do my usual homemade fare. 

I packed up the lovely chocolates in an antique chocolate box, along with iced tea-filled masons jars, sweeteners and serving implements. I placed everything in a wicker basket to haul out to my garden to serve picnic-style. We wiled away the afternoon talking about all things spiritual, political and had a discussion of recent books that we had read.  When that was done, I tidied up, washed the dishes, and took a little leisure time before dinner.

After dinner, it is common when the weather warms up, to water the garden if necessary. On this particular Tuesday it was not to be. Upon opening the door, I immediately noticed a noxious odor which smelt vaguely chemical. I quickly went indoors to check the internet. After about five minutes, the news had hit, wildfires out of control in Canada were hitting the northeastern United States. 

Over the next several days, the air quality was at its’ highest danger level and people in New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Jersey were advised to stay indoors. It felt like a covid lockdown all over again. I felt trapped. A lot of thoughts went through my mind at first. I was angry, scared, and feeling vulnerable. 

I had volunteered to help at an outdoor event Friday and Saturday and I wondered if that event would be held, and if it would be safe. I prayed for God’s comfort and protection. (Comfort ye, comfort ye my people saith your God-Isaiah 40:1) I prayed for understanding of these and so many other world events.. One of those events is the Russian and Ukrainian war. I have a Christian friend in Russia and I have hoped and prayed that our friendship would survive our two countries and their differences concerning this war. 

So many things are at risk of dying when wildfires erupt. Birds, and other wildlife. The air quality could impact people to the point of death. The fire fighters risk their lives and have health consequences as a result of the exposure to a wildfire. As I contemplated the risk to my husband and myself, friends and family I began to remember that at moments like this I am challenged to confirm what I believe in, and that is life eternal with Jesus Christ. ( I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he dies, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die- John 11:25-26.) 

Reports have emerged that due to long-term neglect of forest conditions and management of those conditions that could mitigate the results of a forest fire, that this may happen again and again throughout the summer of 2023. (The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinances, broken the everlasting covenant-Isaiah 24:5).

I sure hope not but, it gets me to wondering about the meaning and purpose of enduring suffering. I also wonder about these wildfires, because something doesn’t seem right. (This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come-2Timothy 3:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment