Friday, December 30, 2016

New Year, New Beginnings


This year as we ring in the New Year I hope and pray for postitive new directions in your life and mine.  If we are not moving ahead we will surely be moving backward.  So let us resolve to look at things differently and seek God's guidance in a way we never have before.

The Bible has a lot to say about change and growth and how we are to attain it.  It begins with having reverence and respect for God.  Here is a primer on who He is : "Hast thou not known? Hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither's weary? There is no searching of His understanding." Isaiah 40:28-31.

It is traditional to look at our life in the previous year and evaluate what has passed in an effort to determine fitting goals for the upcoming year.  I personally love this tradition.  In our busy and hectic lives the tradition of making New Year's Resolutions is a great impetus for self-improvement.  It needs to be an honest assessment if it is to do any good.

Did I make foolish business decisions, what have I learned?  Do I keep on picking bad relationship partners?  What not so comfortable truths about ourselves do we need to assess?  It may even be something more serious.  If that is the case, dear friend, you can face whatever it is and begin to find a new path with God's help. There may be those reading this who have been engaged in something immoral or illegal.  You can turn the page in your life and begin a new chapter!  "And such were some of you but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of God." 1 Corinthians 6:11.

Beginning a new chapter will require strength and courage.  We have a certain comfort level with our bad habits.  Want to lose twenty pounds, clean your house or lose the attitude?  It will be a fight.  We begin that fight by changing our thought patterns.  Realize that we all have rationalizations for our bad behaviors.  A wife I know, is often frustrated with her husband's lack of attention.  After a typical work day, he will just come home and put the television on.  She asked him if he could shut it off and just spend some time with her.  His justification for answering in the negative was that he "needed it to unwind from his stressful day."   I have heard a Christian, once a wife-beater, remark on more than one occasion that, "she makes me so mad or, she made me do it!"  When I simply said, "no, that is not true.  No one can make you do that, you choose that.  You have the problem."   The simple openness to that truth lead this young man to accept responsibility for his actions and chart a WHOLE new course in his life.

So, we begin to replace the lies with some truth.  This is essential.  "No, I don't have a slow metabolism; I just eat too much."  "Okay, I don't like housework but my kids are embarrassed to bring friends over.  It is time for me to come up with a plan."  " My caustic comments are not funny just cruel."  "I am depressed about my life and need to seek help" or " I have an anger management problem that I need to face."  "I am a criminal."  The Bible tells us about pursuing positive goals.  "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things."Philippians 4:8.

The next step is action. Talk to people who will challenge you.  Start an exercise class.  Shut that television off more and seek human interaction.  Do you need to take an anger management class or do a drug or alcohol detox? Resolve to take whatever action that you must to change the direction of your life in the upcoming year.  Read the Bible which is the guidebook for positive new direction and growth.  Go to God to strengthen you in the tasks ahead, and remember : "as a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day."  You are not alone, God Almighty has your back!

Finally, this world can often beat us down.  We lose hope. But, in the final book of the Bible, we are reminded of just who Jesus is.  "And He that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new." Revelation 21:5a



Happy New Year to all my dear readers.  I want to especially thank my readers in the United States, France, Portugal and Switzerland.  I pray for you often and with much affection.  May God bless you and keep you in this upcoming year!  Any comments or topics that you would like to see covered?  Just write them in the comment sections below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment