Sunday, August 27, 2017

High School Breakup-Part 2 (Young Adult Series)

Olivia had extended an invitation for Dylan and his parents to visit her church and meet her parents, and they had accepted. All week long, Dylan and Olivia texted each other with concerns over their parents upcoming meet. Dylan knew that his parents wanted him to focus more on his studies and put off dating until he was sixteen. Olivia's parents disagreed with that. When Sunday finally came, Dylan could hardly focus on the message. All he could think of was what his parents would do at the Church's coffee social afterwards. When that time came and his parents were gliding toward Olivia's parents with hands out-stretched and ready to shake, Dylan suddenly blurted out, "Mr. M***** would you allow me to date your daughter?"

Dylan instanly knew, that he had made a mistake. After obsessing about this thing all week, he was on a hair trigger. He loved Olivia and he wished he could just yell it out and tell the world. He had not told her yet, but he felt sure that she felt it too. "David, nice to meet you and your wife Amanda. Dylan, my impetuous son, has told me a lot about you." Everyone nervously laughed. "Yes, and it's nice to meet you Eric and Judy."

"We have made it no secret that we think these two shouldn't rush into anything. What with all their school work, and extra-curricula activities. I'm afraid it will harm both their chances at a good college. They have a nice thing just as it is. They do bible study together and attend the same youth group." "I'm gonna be sixteen in three months dad.  I think I'm old enough to date now." "Dylan, you have not been focusing on your studies lately. You're always texting with Olivia!" Judy retorted,"well, I hope your not blaming that on our daughter."

"No, but I would like it if we parents could agree on some guidelines for texting. It seems that she texts Dylan at all hours and he drops everything he's doing if he sees it's her!" "Well, that's your son's fault, because Olivia doesn't get on the phone until her homework is done!" Dylan and Olivia's worst nightmare had come true. Their parents had just met and they were already fighting.  Dylan and his father continued fighting on the drive home. "Dad, everything came so easy for you at school. You are so tough on me." "Dylan, your dad's just looking out for your future.  There's a lot of things you don't understand yet. A lot is at stake." Mom, you always take his side, whether he's right or wrong."

"I would like you to cool down Dylan. Olivia seems like a very nice girl but I would like you to slow this thing down.  You are so young Dylan. You just have other priorities right now that need your attention." "Oh yeah, like you dad! All you do is work. You're never around. You're the only dad who hasn't car-pooled for our youth group. You never have time when Pastor asks for help at Church. I don't want to be anything like you dad. "

"That's enough Dylan. You are not dating Olivia and that's final. You can talk to me in three months. Let's see if you can get your grades up and then we'll talk!" To Dylan this was just unfair. "My dad is such a control freak," he thought. As the week went on, he looked forward to seeing Olivia at the upcoming teen ministry outing to New Roc City. New Roc City is an entertainment center located in New Rochelle, N.Y. There are go-karts, arcades, laser tag etc. Olivia couldn't wait for Friday night either. She just needed a break from school and from her parents ruminating about their meeting with Dylan's parents. She understood that they were just being protective of her, but she had prayed all week long that everyone would just calm down and leave her and Dylan alone.

AT NEW ROC CITY
DYLAN- Olivia, my dad says we can't date.
OLIVIA- Are you breaking up with me Dylan?
DYLAN- No, this has nothing to do with what I want and how I feel. This is what my parents decided for me, but why should we let them stop us?
OLIVIA- Dylan, we are trying to follow Jesus, and that means we must honor our parents. It's God's commandment to us. I can't encourage you to disobey your parents.
DYLAN- So wait, you're breaking up with me?
OLIVIA- Why are you twisting this around Dylan?
Malik- Guys, everyone's going on the Spaceshot now. Are you coming?

As he climbed on the ride which was to take him on an 185 foot drop from the roof of New Roch City, he was in a fog. Otherwise, he would not have allowed Malik and Justin to talk him into going on this ride. They all screamed as they came thundering down that precipice. Malik and Justin wanted to go on the ride again, but this time Dylan declined. It was starting to sink in, he and Olivia are broken-up. That Sunday, on the ride to church, Dylan and his dad hardly spoke. It was that way at church too. He was not in the mood for small talk. But, just when we need it most, God will always find a way to reach us.

Pastor Bob's Sermon was entitled, "A Recipe For Disaster." What could that be about", thought Dylan? "Pastor never talks about cooking! This sounds boring." However, as Pastor began to preach, Dylan changed his mind. Pastor Bob opened up by saying that "he hoped all his brothers and sister in Christ would hear his confession. James 5:16 tells us that we are to, confess our sins one to another. Well, what kind of Christian would I be if I did not do that? This week, brothers and sisters, was a terrible week for me, where I failed miserably in being a godly man. As you know, Laura has had to spend the week with her parents as her mother recuperates from surgery."

"I was left in charge at home and I did a rather poor job of it. The house quickly turned into a mess, the food was burnt, and I failed to be the father that I should have been. I was self-centered and controlling." Pastor Bob encouraged us all to acknowledge our short-comings and take responsibility for our actions. He told us that he has confessed to God, and apologized to his wife and children. He then went on to share scriptual guidance on developing godly attributes.  It all ended with an emotional altar call for the whole church to recommit themselves to family life. One by one, people made their ways down the aisles toward the front of the church. The deacons were praying with men and women as they confessed their sins, prayed for guidance and renewed their commitments.

This was one of the biggest outpourings of emotion that Dylan had ever seen at his small church.  Pastor Bob had obviously hit a cord with many today and none more so then with Dylan's dad, who had never went up for an altar call in all his life! Without saying a word, Eric pushed past his wife Judy and Dylan, and stood in line to receive ministrations.  In a few moments, Pastor Bob was embracing Eric and praying with him. At that instance, Dylan bolted up and ran down the aisle.
AT THE ALTAR
ERIC: I know I have failed you Dylan. You were right about everything that you've been saying son. But, I'm gonna do better. I asked Pastor Bob to hold me accountable and I am asking you to do the same thing."
DYLAN: I can't believe this dad, I've been praying about this so long.
ERIC: God's been so good son, but I had begun to loose sight of that. I am lucky that I have a praying son. I am so proud of you, I love you so much Dylan. I'm sorry I gave you such a hard time about Olivia too. I must confess that I was trying to use the situation to get you to work harder at school, I realize that I made a mistake. You have more than proven that you are a godly young man ready to date.

At this point, Dylan hugged his dad tightly and started to cry. His dad had always been so cold and distant. It seemed impossible to please him. But, something began to change that night for Dylan and his father. Something that began with Eric's heart opening to the message of that sermon. To understanding that the message was for him and accepting the challenge. I dare say that we all need to accept some challenge today. That challenge could be like Eric's to change long-held family patterns, or it could be to pray for our dad's, the way Dylan did. It might be learning patience as we wait for a situation to work out. Whatever it is, accept your challenge today!







No comments:

Post a Comment